Sunday, December 12, 2010

T - 1 week and counting

After a no-skating weekend, I was counting the hours to this weekend when I could skate not just once, but twice, AND try out my new wheels.  On Friday night I had to exercise major restraint since Bennett had a variety show at school at 5:30, and practice started at 6.  Naturally, I had my derby clothes already on, but I camouflaged my getup with boots over my striped socks and a long sweater to cover the rest.  If I had break-away pants, I would have worn them.  Once I got to practice, I was so jazzed to get my new wheels on the track; I couldn't lace up fast enough. The wheels were all I thought they would be and more.  I actually can't believe that I didn't kill myself in the previous two practices with those other wheels.  Not only can I control myself a million times better, I can also FLY.  It felt amazing.  The rest of the practice was awesome. Great skating aside, nothing could top the highlight of my night: when another skater asked me if I was the transfer derby-girl from Texas.  I restrained an outburst of "No, but YEEHAW and thanks for asking!!!" and politely said I wasn't.  After Wreckers, RCR was holding tryouts for the traveling team. It was a hilarious juxtaposition: the best of the best Rose City Rollers warming up around the track while the Wreckers played derby freeze-tag on the track.  I love it!

Saturday's practice went just as great.  We did some super-fun drills, one of which was pretty similar to an actual scrimmage.  Turns out, nothing can beat the thrill of being the jammer.  It was exhilarating.

Tryouts are one week away, and I think I am ready. Who knows if I'll make it-or even if I'll come close.  I am just thrilled to try, and if I'm not what they are looking for, I'll always have a place on Wreckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment